Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Evil Eye

Recently my friend Fiona came back from spending some time in Turkey and she bought me back a whole bunch of presents - a necklace, fridge magnet, bracelet, sticker and a pin which all featured the evil eye to stop bad stuff happening to me (as in Turkey they believe if something bad happens to you it's because of the evil eye so you have to trick it by wearing an evil eye yourself - or at least I think that's right - Fiona could explain it much more accurately I'm sure).

So I thought I would look up "The Evil Eye" on Blackle (seen as it's more environmentally friendly than google) - it sent me to that fountain of all internet knowledge google, which told me -

The evil eye a folklore belief that the envy elicited by the good luck of fortunate people may result in their misfortune, whether it is envy of material possessions including livestock, or of beauty, health, or offspring. The perception of the nature of the phenomenon, its causes, and possible protective measures, varies between different cultures. In some forms, it is the belief that some people can bestow a curse on victims by the malevolent gaze of their magical eye.

Interesting stuff! I think I shall have to start wearing my evil eye necklace - and perhaps put the evil eye stickers on my computer at work!! (to ward off ending up with an exceedingly big workload!)

She also gave me some scented wet wipes which she took everywhere with her in Turkey due to the toilet situation....I don't need to know any more about said situation! :P

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you are using Blackle to do your searches because you think it is more environmentally friendly, you may wish to think again. We tested it with a watt meter and found it uses more power. Please click the link then click on the view video button to see the results.