Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Dr Grordbort's Exceptional Exhibition

At the moment we have a completely awesome exhibition happening on Cuba Street - in fact its so awesome I've been twice already. Once with Emi on opening night and once with Rich last weekend.

One thing that makes me a little sad is empty shops in the central city - so I was pretty excited when I heard that Dr Grordbort's Exceptional Exhibition was moving into one of the empty stores in upper Cuba Street. Even if its only going to be here until January - its a great use of what would otherwise be an empty space.
The exhibition itself is the brainchild of Greg Broadmore - one of the guys behind Weta Workshop. Weta Workshop is pretty much iconic in Wellington and perhaps even throughout New Zealand. If you've see any of the Lord of the Rings movies, King Kong, The Chronicles of Narnia or Tintin then you've seen the work of Weta Workshop.
The work at the exhibition was a mix of sculpture and painting (although I suspect the paintings were more digital are than traditional painting).
Every part of the exhibition was delightfully steampunk - I love the robots, even the evil ones. ESPECIALLY the evil ones!
If you happen to be in Wellington in December/January I really recommend this exhibition, its absolutely amazing. If you can't make it to Wellington then you should really check out some more about Dr. Grordbort here.







11 comments:

Vix said...

Great use of an empty shop! Our town's got the highest number of them in the UK, what a shame the council doesn't take note! x

Unknown said...

Wow - this stuff is AMAZING! I love robots too! Sarah xxx

Krista said...

This is my kinda art! Wow I swear you guys must have a appreciation greater than most because I feel like you are always showing some cool collection here or there. I love that you share this with us!

Anonymous said...

This place basically looks like the the inside of my head!

cb said...

I agree a great space! What an awesome show and how lucky that you are able to see it.
Xo,cb

Unknown said...

I would LOVE to see this exhibition! Looks really like something that I would like. (I have often wondered am I half robot or something, as I have this strange attraction).
About the bat- next year is fine :)
Just mail me :)
x, Lara
http://rockteraptor.blogspot.fi/

Meghan Edge said...

that looks so amazing and your dress! You look so cute!!

It's funny that you call it "central city" because we call downtown Philadelphia "center city". (And then there are "old city" and "u-city" - which is really just West Philly with a made up name.)

alicia said...

that place basically looks like the inside of bear's brain...

Curtise said...

Ooh, the exhibition looks awesome - the robots are fabulous! xxx

Monsterchen said...

what a great exhibition, oh my brother would love it too, he loves and collects robots ;)
kiss,mary
http://www.maryloucinnamon.com/

Penny-Rose said...

Oh WOW I am very envious of your two trips to see this awesome exhibition. What a great use of empty shops. Port Chalmers needs to do something similar. BTW love the orange polka dot dress!