Thursday, December 31, 2015

Top Five Sewing Hits and Misses 2015

I've seen a few people writing blog posts around their top five sewing hits and misses of the past year. Although I've not sewn as much this year as previous years I thought I'd do the same, it might even encourage me to do more sewing as I have a lot of fabric and patterns that I need to use - like a cupboard full (I need to stop saving the "good"  fabric).

TOP FIVE SEWING WINS 

In no particular order, here are my top five sewing wins for 2015:

KAWAII JACKET 
Although its not an everyday item and I may never wear it again, I was pretty happy with the way my Kawaii jacket turned out. It's a bit bigger than it should be, but it looked pretty cute and it was a good way to used up some fabrics I had been stashing for a while.

HEARTS AND ANCHORS DRESS
This dress is the exact opposite to the kawaii jacket in terms of how often I wear it, I wear this dress ALL THE TIME. I layer it up in the cooler months and recently someone told me it fits me "so well" pretty good considering I bought the fabric for a few dollars at a market. I really need to make more of these dresses, perhaps even a maxi version.

MONSTER MASH  DRESS
 Let's get real, any dress featuring monsters I was going to wear constantly. I chose an old tried and true pattern for this dress (I didn't want to mess up the fabric) and it came out pretty great. I wear this one a lot, simple and comfortable and full of monsters!

RICH'S BIRTHDAY ROBE 
This is the first wearable thing I've made for Rich and I think it came out great, I love seeing him wear this snuggly robe.

NAUTICAL ARUM DRESS
The dress I had a love, hate and back to love relationship with - I wear it a bunch though and will make more (although I will size down next time).

TOP FIVE SEWING MISSES

Here are my top five sewing misses, some are misses because they just didn't work for me, others because I never wear them and others just went wrong.

COLETTE MYRTLE DRESS
This dress was just wrong for me, I don't like these kinds of collars generally so I don't know what I was thinking. I guess at least I learned some new construction techniques, but I can't see myself ever making  another Myrtle.

GHOSTIE DERBY DRESS
I dunno went on with this dress, even cute ghost fabric couldn't save it. I guess some projects end up as UFOs for a reason.

ANCHOR ME DRESS
I was actually really happy with this dress in terms of construction and thought the sleeves looked really cute with the frill, but the fabric choice was just all wrong for this style of dress - I felt like I was wearing a hospital gown.

HAMILTON TOP
The Hamilton top was one of those things that looked better in my imagination - also I don't wear separates much so it quickly became a wardrobe orphan and I should have made it at least one size (possibly two) smaller. It was never really "right".

SUPER HEROES DRESS
 There's nothing really "wrong" with this dress, but I just don't think I will ever wear it again and the fact I cut my heroes out upside down didn't help!

So there we go - my top five hits and misses, I am really hoping next year I do get to sew more. Do you have any sewing "wins" or general "wins" in life over the past 12 months?

3 comments:

deeps said...

Happy new year
and you seem to be already ready for it

Unknown said...

I can't believe you made all these (and more)! These pieces are so cool, I reeaally need to learn how to sew (and I say this every time and never learn it tho...). The superhero dress is so amazing1 And I love the monstermash one so much too! <3

Happy new year! :)

Bad Taste Toast - A German/Australian Style Blog

Kezzie said...

Your sewing projects are excellent- I love the robe you made for Rich and Monster mash dress! I also really like the Hamilton top even if you don't as much!x